Did you think the bewildering popularity of sailors’ songs was going to be the most confusing musical development of 2021? Well, hold your horses: Tom Jones handed over his beer to the Sailor Community and entered the fray.
After forging a career as Wales ‘favorite son and first crooner, Jones’ most recent single, a spoken word cover by American singer-songwriter Todd Snider Talk about the reality TV blues, takes an unexpected, albeit welcome, step aside in the world of alternative rock.
Honestly, at Louder we don’t hate it. There is a “Tom Waits doing Radiohead but in Welsh” vibe, with a touch of Baz Luhrmann Solar cream song. So far, so 90s.
Lyrically, he goes through the snowball damage that television has inflicted on the collective modern psyche – a bold move given that Jones himself is a reality TV star thanks to his role as a judge in the UK version of the contest. of talents. The voice – ending with not at all sharp: ‘Then a program called The apprentice came and very soon / An old man with a comb sold us the moon / We stayed tuned, here we are now / Reality killed by a reality star‘.
Popular musicians who are turning to alternative sounds in an attempt to appear on the beat are nothing new. When hair metal was all but wiped out by a tsunami of knitted cardigans and dirty guitars, a number of these bands dabbled in a mid-’90s grunge album in an attempt to hang on to relevance (yes, Def Leppard, we’re watching you). But where a lot of them missed the mark, for Sir Tom, it seems a surprisingly natural fit. Could this be the start of a brilliant career in alternative rock? Well, we are in 2021. Anything can happen.
To verify Talk about the reality TV blues below.
Talk about the reality TV blues is taken from Jones’ upcoming cover album, Surrounded by time, which is due on April 23. The full song list is below.
Tracklist of Surrounded by Time
1. I won’t collapse with you if you fall (Bernice Johnson Reagon)
2. The windmills of your mind (Michel Legrand / Alan & Marilyn Bergman)
3. Popstar (Yusuf / Cat Stevens)
4. No Hole In My Head (Malvina Reynolds)
5. Talking Reality Television Blues (Todd Snider)
6. I won’t lie (Michael Kiwanuka & Paul Butler)
7. It’s the sea (Michael Scott)
8. Another cup of coffee (Bob Dylan)
9. Samson and Delilah (Tom Jones, Ethan Johns, Mark Woodward)
10. Mother Earth (Tony Jo White)
11. I’m getting old (Bobby Cole)
12. The Lazarus Man (Terry Callier)